Seer fish / Vanjaram Meen - 1/2 kg
Onion medium ( chopped) - 1 no
Curry leaves - few
Tomato medium ( chopped) - 1 no
Ginger and Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp ( +/-)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Water - 1 cup to 1.5 cups
Coconut masala paste
Freshly grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Roasted poppy seeds( kuskus) - 1 tsp ( optional)
Fennel seeds or powder - 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1"
Cardamom - 1 or 2 nos
|Chettinad Fish Curry|
1. Clean, wash and marinade fish pieces with 1/4 tsp red chilli powder, turmeric and pinch of salt.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a tawa and roast the fish pieces until 1/2 cooked( by this way fish will not break into pieces while boiling in gravy).
4. Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai, add chopped onions and curry leaves, sauté until onions are transparent.
5. Add ginger & garlic paste to the pan and sauté until raw smell leaves.
6. Next add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and sauté for a minute until tomatoes are soft.
7. Now add the ground masala paste to the pan and stir well on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Add water to the pan, season with required salt and bring gravy to boil. Let the gravy boil on medium heat for 3 mins.
9. Add the roasted fish pieces to the gravy, stir well, cover and cook for 7 mins.
10. Check the consistency of the kurma and seasoning.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with
Idli, Dosa, Chapati or Steamed rice.
1. Any fish like promfret( vavva), sheela which has less bones is preferred for this korma.
2. You can also substitute prawns instead of fish.
Post a Comment