|Chettinad Kathirikai Sadam|
Small purple brinjals - 8 nos
Raw rice - 1 and 1/2 cups
Onion medium sliced - 1 no or Shallots - 10 nos
Tomato small chopped - 1 no
Curry leaves - few
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon - 2" piece
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 4 tbsp( preferably Gingely oil)
Water - 3 cups
Masala powder to grind
Coconut grated - 4 tbsp
Channa dal - 2 tbsp
Whole dry chilli - 3 to 4 nos
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - pinch
Salt - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash rice and soak it in water for half an hour.
2. Dry roast ingredients given under masala powder separately in a pan and grind it along with coconut until finely ground.
3. Chop brinjal into thick slices, mix sliced brinjals and ground masala powder in a bowl.
4. Heat oil in a deep pan, when oil is hot add mustard seeds and cinnamon stick, allow mustard seeds to splutter.
5. Add sliced onions and curry leaves to the pan, sauté for few mins.
6. Now Add brinjals along with masala powder to the pan, sauté well until oil is well coated on brinjals and it turns color.
7. Next add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, required salt and few tbsp water to the pan, stir the brinjals gently until a slight gravy is formed.
8. Cover pan with lid, reduce heat and cook brinjals until 3/4th cooked.
9. Add 3 cups water to the pan, increase heat and bring gravy to boil.
10. When gravy starts boiling add drained rice, stir gently so brinjals doesn't break, cover pan again with lid, reduce heat and cook rice for 10 to 12 mins until tender.
Serve hot with
|Brinjal Rice Recipe|