Potatoes medium sized peeled and cubed - 4 no
Garlic cloves crushed - 2 nos ( optional)
Red chilli powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Fennel powder - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Asafetida - few pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 4 to 6 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Place cubed potatoes in a large pan fill with water and boil on high heat until tender( should not be over-cooked).
2. Drain the potatoes and add to a bowl. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, fennel powder, asafetida and required salt to the potatoes and mix well.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, when mustard splutters add masala coated potatoes and curry leaves to the pan.
4. Fry the potatoes on medium heat until golden brown and crisp.
|Chettinad Potato Roast|
1. This authentic method of preparing ennai urulaikizhangu Varuval, if you prefer try adding garam masala powder while coating potatoes with spices.
2. To cook potatoes quickly, place cubed potatoes in a microwave safe bowl fill half way with water and microwave for 3 mins, then gently stir potatoes and cook for another 3 mins so they are evenly cooked.