Tomato medium sized - 1/2 kg or 7 nos
Onion medium sized - 1/4 kg or 2 to 3 nos
Garlic cloves peeled - 6 to 8 nos
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1 and 1/4 tsp or as required
Oil - 1/4 cup
1. Chop tomatoes, onions and garlic cloves coarsely.
2. In a large mixi jar first grind chopped onions and garlic cloves to a paste, then add tomatoes, red chilli powder and turmeric powder to jar and grind along with onion mixture.
3. Take a heavy bottomed pan with tight lid( I prefer to use pressure pan with lid), heat 1/4 cup oil in the pan, carefully add the ground tomato onion purée to the pan. Stir well.
4. Reduce heat and cover pan with lid ( otherwise the tomato purée will splutter outside and whole kitchen will become messy), stir the tomato chutney occasionally.
5. The whole cooking process of tomato chutney will take about 15 mins, when the tomato chutney is cooked for about 10 mins, add salt to the tomato chutney and stir well.
6. Cook until chutney is thickened and oil oozes on the sides of pan( chutney should have turned deep red in color).
7. Cool the tomato chutney at room temperature and store in clean jar or box.
|Tomato Chutney- Bachelor Recipes|
1. If you want tomato chutney to be chunky avoid grinding tomatoes, onions and garlic and chop them finely. ( this method of finely chopping also helps chutney from spluttering outside pan).
2. Do not reduce amount of oil, lots of oil acts as preservative and keep chutney fresh for long.
3. While stored in jar, oil will float above chutney before consumption stir well the chutney and use.