Small onion / Shallots - 20 nos or Big onion - 1 no
Tomato small - 1 no
Red chilli - 3 nos
Garlic - 2 nos
Tamarind - less than gooseberry size
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
1. Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water and extract pulp.
2. Grind onion, red chilli, tomato and garlic coarsely.
3. Heat oil in a pan, temper mustard seeds and urad dal in hot oil, transfer coarsely ground paste to pan.
4. Saute for 3 to 5 mins on medium heat, add tamarind extract and required salt.
5. Simmer and stir occasionally chutney until raw smell of tamarind leaves, oil oozes on sides of pan and chutney thickens.
Serve with Kuzhipaniyaram, Idli and Dosa.
Vara milagai chutney is usually prepared as accompaniment for Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram.