Plantain / Raw Banana - 1 no
Small onion chopped - 5 nos
Tomato small chopped - 1 no
Green chilli slit - 2 nos
Garlic cloves sliced - 1 to 2 nos
Red chiili powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry and Coriander leaves - few
For Coconut Masala
Grated fresh coconut - 1/4 cup
Sombu / Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
|Chettinad Plantain Masala|
1. Grind fresh coconut with sombu to smooth paste by adding few tbsp water.
2. Peel the plantain, cut into cubes and soak it in water to avoid discoloring.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle.
4. Add cubed plantain, chopped onion, tomato, green chilli and garlic to the pan, saute for 3 mins.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and required salt to the pan, saute for 1 more minute.
6. Add little water to the pan, reduce heat and cook plantain until tender.
7. Finally add ground coconut paste to the pan stir fry until plantain curry is semi thick.
Garnish with curry and coriander leaves.
Serve Vazhakkai Masala with Steamed rice
|Raw Banana Masala|