|Beetroot Vadai Recipe|
Grated beetroot - 1 cup
Channa dal / Kadalai paruppu - 1/2 cup
Rice flour - 1/2 cup
Onion small sliced - 1/2 no
Sombu / fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Whole red chilli - 4 to 5 nos
Minced ginger - 1/2 tsp
Minced garlic - 1/2 tsp
Chopped curry leaves - few tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
1. Soak Bengal gram dal in hot water for 30 mins and grind to coarse batter.
2. Coarsely crush sombu, red chillies, ginger, garlic and curry leaves in a mixi.
3. In a bowl mix ground channa dal with rice flour, grated beet root, sliced onion, crushed chilli masala, turmeric powder and required salt. 4. Mix well until tight vada batter is formed, the batter should not be watery add more rice flour if required.
5. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan or kadai to deep fry the vadas.
6. Shape the beetroot batter into vadas and drop it in hot oil.
7. Fry the vadas on medium heat until the beetroot vadai are cooked inside and golden brown and crisp outside.
8. Drain vadas on to paper towel.
Serve hot beetroot vadai as a appetizer or sidedish with steamed rice, sambar and rasam.