This Chettinad vegetable kurma is best side dish for Biryani, Pulao, Parotta, Poori, Chapati, Idiyappam, Idli and Dosa. Very easy to make with minimal ingredients but very delicious.
Mixed vegetables chopped( carrot, beans and peas) – 1.5 cups
Onion chopped – 1 number
Coconut milk – 400ml
Ginger and Garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 3 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cloves – 4 numbers
Cardamom – 3 numbers
Cinnamon stick – 2”inch
1. Heat oil in a sauce pan, when oil is hot add whole garam masalas and fry till aroma rises.
2. Add chopped onion to the pan and sauté for a minute.
3. Next add ginger and garlic paste to the onions and sauté till raw smell leaves.
4. Now add the mixed vegetables to the pan and sauté for a minute.
5. Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt to the pan and sauté again for a minute.
6. Add 1 cup of water to the pan, bring to boil, cover with lid and simmer for 7 mins until vegetables are tender.
7. Finally add the coconut milk to the simmering curry, stir well and turn off the heat.
1. You can add any vegetable to this kurma like cautiflower, potato or even paneer.
2. Coconut milk has to be added at final stage and should not boil kurma after adding coconut milk as it tends to curdle while boiling.