Basmati rice – 1 cup
Water for Basmati rice – 1.5 cups
Mixed vegetables( carrot, peas, beans and sweet corn) – 1 cup
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Bay leaf – 1 number
Star anise – 1 number
Cloves – 2 numbers
Cardamom -2 numbers
Cinnamon stick – 1”inch
Cashewnuts – 10 numbers
Raisins – few
1. Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan, fry the cashe nuts and raisins in oil until golden brown and set aside.
3. In the same oil in the pan add the whole garam masala and fry for few minutes until aroma rises.
4. Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and stir fry for a minute.
5. Next add all the spice powder to the vegetables in the pan and stir fry for few seconds
6. Add the fried cashewnuts, raisins, water and salt to the pan, bring everything to boil. Add the basmati rice to boiling gravy in pan, stir well and cover pan with lid.
7. Cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
1.Note though I used pressure cooker I did not pressure cook the rice, instead I covered weight nozzle with glass to steam the pulav.
2. You can use ½ cup coconut milk and 1 cup water instead 1.5 cups water which gives more taste t to pulav.