|Chettinad Sambar Sadam|
Rice – 1.5 cups
Toor dal -1/4 cup
Water - 3.5 cups
Onion chopped – 1 number
Mixed vegetables ( I used peas and carrot) – ½ cup
Tomato chopped – 1 number
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – to garnish
Salt to taste
Oil – 4 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2 numbers
Masala to grind( Dry roast each ingredient separately and grind together to smooth powder)
Coriander seeds – ¼ cup
Chana dal – 2 tbsp
Dried red chilli – 6
Black pepper corns – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – generous pinch
Freshly grated coconut – ¼ cup
1.Wash rice and toor dal together and cook with , turmeric powder, little salt and water in pressure cooker for 15 mins.
2.Heat oil in a kadai, when hot add mustard seeds and dried red chilies, allow to splutter.
3.Add chopped onions and curry leaves to the kadai and stir fry for a minute until onions turn glossy and pink.
4. Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and fry for another minute.
5. Add the chopped tomato to the pan and fry until tomato is soft.
6. Now add the ground sambar masala powder to the pan and mix well.
7. Add 1/2 cup water and required salt (remember you added little salt to rice) to the veggies, mix well and bring to boil, simmer for 7 minutes or until raw smell of masala powder leaves and gravy slightly thickenss.
8. Finally add the cooked rice to the gravy and mix well until gravy is absorbed by the rice.
9. If preferred add teaspoon of ghee and garnish Sambar Sadam with chopped coriander.
1. I used frozen green peas and carrots as I was making it for quick lunch, you can use any vegetables like brinjal, green beans, potatoes, drumstick etc.
2. If you want to use spice masala powder for anytime making sambar sadam, use desiccated coconut( kobarai) instead of fresh coconut.
3. Sambar sadam should not be either too thick or too watery.