|Chettinad Vengaya Kosu|
Ingredients for Kosu
Onions sliced – 3 numbers
Tomato chopped – 1 number
Curry leaves - few
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ingredients for Masala Paste
Freshly grated coconut – ¼ cup
Fried gram dal – 1 tbsp
Dried whole red chilli – 7 numbers
Sombu / fennel seeds – 1.5 tsp
Ingredients for temepering
Bay leaf – 1 number
Cinnamon sticks – 2”inch
Cloves – 4 numbers
Cardamom – 3 numbers
Fennel seeds – generous pinch
1. Grind the ingredients given under masala paste until smooth in a mixi or grinder, adding water as needed.
2. Heat oil in a pot, when oil is hot add tempering ingredients and fry until aroma rises.
3. Add the sliced onions and curry leaves to the pot and keep stirring until onions turn glossy and Pink.
4. Add chopped tomatoes to the frying onions and stir fry for a minute. Add turmeric powder and ground masala paste to the onion mixture and stir well for a minute. Wash the mixi jar in which paste was ground and add it the pot.
5. Season the curry with required salt and add more water if needed to loosen the thickness of curry. Cover pot with lid and bring the curry to boil. Simmer curry for 10 mins until the oil floats on top and curry slightly thickenss.
6. Serve hot with Idli or Dosa.
1.You can add cubed potatoes to this curry for making Urulaikizhangu Vengaya Kosu.
2. If you want the curry to be more spicy, you can also add red chilli powder or increase number of dried red chilies while grinding according to your preferences.
|Vengaya Kosu Recipe|
Tried this recipe and it was very simple to make and tasty to eat. Thank you.
Post a Comment