|Chow Chow Sambar|
Chow Chow / Chayote / Bangalore Kathirikai ( chopped)– 1 no
Toordal ( cooked and mashed) – ¾ cup
Small onions / Shallots ( chopped)- 10 nos
Tomato ( chopped) – 1 no
Curry leaves ( chopped) – few
Coriander leaves - handful
Tamarind extract – ¼ cup
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 2tsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Asafetida - pinch
Sambar masala ingredients
Coriander seeds – 1 and 1/4 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds / Vendhayam – ¼ tsp
|Chettinad Chow Chow Sambar|
1. Dry roast and grind ingredients given under sambar masala to fine powder.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, asafetida and curry leaves and allow to splutter.
3. Add onions and sauté until onions turn soft, now add the chopped chow chow and stir fry for a minute.
4. Add the tomato to the pan and sauté until tomato is cooked and mushy, add red chili powder, turmeric powder, freshly ground sambar powder and give a stir.
5. Add the tamarind extract, a cup of water and required salt to pan.
6. Bring sambar to boil, cover pan with lid and simmer sambar on low heat for 5 mins until the raw taste of tamarind leaves and chow chow is cooked.
7. Finally add the cooked toor dal and coriander leaves, stir well and turn of the heat.
8. Serve hot chow chow sambar with
Steamed rice and Potato fry
Idly or Dosa.
1. Freshly ground sambar masalas gives fresh aroma to sambar or you can substitute it with 1 tbsp of store bought or home-made sambar powder.